Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thursday July 5th was trouble from the beginning. We woke up after our 112 mile day yesterday to a strong wind blowing. The winds normally do not start blowing until 10 or 11 am. That's why we always get up and are on the road before 6am. Today they started blowing at mile one and did not stop for the entire 76 miles from Gillette to Newcastle Wy. They were by far the strongest winds we have rode in yet. They stayed steady at between 25 and 30 mph, with gusts to 35. There is nothing more to be said except that my wife is right when she says that I am stubborn. Today I was to stubborn to let the wind beat me. The winds have definitely become the story of this BIG RIDE.  We have had several straight days of head winds and the riders are finding out how mentally tough they are. I will enjoy every mile of this adventure but if the wind did not blow ever again it would be all right with me. Tomorrow we cross out of Wyoming and into South Dakota. Saturday is a day off and we are going to Mount Rushmore. But first we have an 86 mile ride to Rapid City.

No comments:

Post a Comment