Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wednesday July 18th started bad, got good ,then really bad and then finished as a good day. It started bad because we had a 102 mile ride from Viroqua WI to Madison WI and we had thunder, lightning and rain overnight. Luckily it stopped by morning but the wind was blowing and clouds were in the sky and it was very humid. We were out of camp by 5am hoping to beat the heat. Once I started riding I felt really good and was charging up and down the rolling hills. I had made it 15 miles when the good turned bad. I got another flat tire and I was mad that it was slowing me down. Then while I was changing it 8 riders passed me and that made me madder. By the time I was back on the road I was in a complete funk and for the first time I was questioning my resolve. I spent the next 5 miles questioning if I was up to this ride any more and I was down to a snails pace. Then I came to the top of a hill and looked out across a beautiful valley and I stopped riding and just looked around. I suddenly realized why I was here and  what a great opportunity this is. I got back on my bike and rode the next 80 miles as if it were the first day of this adventure and I loved every second of it. We had major hills, we had 30 miles of head winds and then more hills. The heat got up to 93 degrees with 60% humidity but I was having fun. I remembered how many beautiful places I have seen, how many nice people I have met and and how many people have supported me so I can do this adventure. We made it to Madison staying at the University of Wisconsin in air conditioned dorms and a day off tomorrow. My resolve is now stronger than ever and I am going to enjoy every second of these next  two and a half weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome mental recovery, Rick. I am so amazed at what you all are doing. This blog painted such a clear picture of how difficult this whole endeavor is. Great job digging deep and finding the joy, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the positive thinking Rick!!!! You are so right, what a fantastic once in a lifetime experience you are having.... We all have great confidence in you and what you are doing....

    Take care, Gene & Kathy

    ReplyDelete